COSS Weekly, Issue #3: 💥November 1st, 2020
Welcome to the third issue of the COSS Weekly, the global Commercial Open-Source ecosystem newsletter brought to you every Sunday by Joseph Jacks and team at COSS Media, OSS Capital and the organizers of Open Core Summit.
Each week, we neatly summarize the latest happenings in COSS, often including objective commentary across primarily the following four areas: Funding, Content, Liquidity, Data.
💰 COSS Funding
Rockset, provider of real-time cloud databases, announces $40M Series B from Sequoia and Greylock. Link
Replicated, a company focused on Kubernetes-Off-The-Shelf Software, announces $25M Series B led by Two Sigma Ventures. Link
Stackhawk, built on open-source OWASP ZAP, announces $10M Series A led by Sapphire Ventures. Link
Pulumi, provider of open-source modern infrastructure software, announces 37.5M Series B led by NEA. Link
CodeSandbox, producer of cloud-based coding environments for seamless developer collaboration, announces $12.7M Series A led by EQT Ventures. Link
📚 COSS Content
What would Databricks be worth in a 2021 IPO? Link
Joseph Jacks: Public companies are more open-source than private companies, thus COSS companies go public 3-5 years sooner than SaaS/others. Link
Matthew Rocklin piece on OSS growth metrics, VC funding, Hockey Stick Growth and GitHub stars. Link
HashiCorp appoints Todd Ford, CFO of Coupa Software, to Board of Directors. Todd will sit as Audit Committee Chair. Link
R. Edward Freeman, father of Stakeholder Theory, interviews Joseph Jacks on new show The Stakeholder Podcast. Link
The Center for New Data, a non-profit focused on creating open access and improved usability with large cloud datasets, is crowdfunding its Observing Democracy project — utilizing mobile location data to observe critical trends in the 2020 election. Seeking funds by Election Day to complete the project. Link
📈 COSS Data
- 🌐 YC COSS: For the first time ever in 2020, 15~ COSS startups have gone through YC in a single year representing 30%+ of the total (50~ since 2006). Our YC COSS dataset tracks and provides granular data on the growing but still small COSS YC alumni.
- 🏦 COSS Funding 2020: This dataset tracks the latest funding events for all stages of COSS companies, mostly in private markets. For 2020+.
- 📊 COSS Index: The well-known COSSI sheet for the exclusive $100M+ revenue club of COSS companies. New data points and growth happening weekly.
- 🌩️ AWS COSS: List of COSS services on AWS. Continuously evolving. We plan to offer similar datasets for Azure, GCP, and other major clouds.
- 🤑 COSS VC: Eary-Stage VCs with > 5 COSS investements as a filter to identify and highlight the "most experienced" COSS investors. Fast growing list.
As usual, we end with this graphic depicting what we think the next Multi-Trillion-Dollar category in business will be:
Don't forget to sign-up for the second-annual FREE Open Core Summit 2020 Digital to meet with and learn from the leaders in COSS (enterprises, founders, investors, executives and more) on December 16-18th, 2020:
1 mission. 3 days. 10 tracks. 150+ speakers. 10,000+ attendees.